Saturday 8 March 2014

Shocking news about a perchcrow.



I have three exciting things to report this week.  I’ll start with the alarming news from Wordsworth House in Cockermouth.  If you have been following the blog of Fletch the Perchcrow, you will know that he has been kidnapped and there has been a ransom demand.  Fletch is a very friendly chap who allows crows to perch on him so it’s difficult to know why anyone would do this.  The ransom demand was originally for cake and coffee but has now escalated to cake, coffee and scones.  From my perspective as a ranger, I think the staff at Wordsworth House might have buckled too easily to the demands.  Where is this going to end? 




You can see from these photographs why we are so worried about him.  Check for any recent developments at Fletch’s blog.

 


The second thing to report is the beginning of a new project in Braithwaite village.  After discussion at a meeting with the Parish Council and a large group of village residents, a plan has been developed to manage Braithwaite Common.  There were many views expressed about how best to do this ranging from creating a garden to allowing it to grow naturally into a wild area.  We have now arrived at a compromise that will allow villagers to use and enjoy the site but will also encourage diversity of species.  Next weekend, I will be working with my regular volunteers and a group of enthusiastic villagers to begin that project.  I am hoping I will also be able to involve the village school children in this. An earlier, small project for the common was to plant fruit trees that are there for any villagers to use.  This more ambitious stage is likely to be a five year programme so watch this blog for news of how that develops.


And finally for now, I’ve been with 24 others to a National Trust training event run by one of the South Lakes rangers.  It was a Dark Sky Discovery training session.  This is something I have not known much about before now but he was an excellent, very knowledgeable trainer.  I am now very keen to develop these ideas especially with children.  If only we could guarantee clear skies!


No comments:

Post a Comment