Friday 10 October 2014

A special day



One day last week began as a routine walk for Daisy and me along the western shore of Derwentwater to survey the condition of gates, fences, paths, culverts etc.  It has always been one of our favourite walks but everything was just right and this time it was a fantastic day.



These are regular checks that we carry out so that we can make repairs before major problems arise.  Mostly we are dealing with wear and tear rather than vandalism.  This time I have noted a few gates needing some attention, a bridge that needs repair, some fencing that needs to be replaced and some culverts that will need some maintenance. So our ranger repair team now can direct their efforts most effectively.






Whilst we were out doing that, by coincidence, we came across a school group I had worked with before.  There was lots of happy excitement as they called for Daisy and had a run around playing with her.


It was a fantastic day but I suspect it will have been one of the last days of summer.  We are now expecting rain.  I am hoping it will begin slowly and soak the ground before the real downpours arrive.  The ground is so dry at present that heavy rain will just run off the surface and might cause quite a lot of damage to footpaths.  All we can do is wait and see what happens!


Daisy here:



I’ve been running around the lake shore.  It was great.  I met kids that I know and played with them in the woods.  And then I learned all about how you mustn’t chase geese or swans.  You can just stand and look at them as long as you are careful.




                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment