Sunday 26 October 2014

Mushrooms and thrones.


Last week was one of those weeks where I was juggling a few different jobs.  I spent some time with my volunteers adding some mushrooms and thrones to the ‘fairy ring’ on the play trail in Cockshot Wood next to the Trust shop.  As usual, my team of volunteers did some great work.  



The son of one of the volunteers served as a very useful measure for how deep we needed to dig the holes for the thrones.  They need to be the right size. 


It has been very satisfying to see people sitting on the mushrooms as soon as we have stopped work for the day.  I think this ‘fairy ring’ in the wood is going to be very popular.



I spent some time with Leila, our new Academy Ranger surveying the area for an accessible path.  We do have to plan the route carefully.  Accessibility for all is always at the front of my mind and where ever possible I make things as accessible as possible. After all, our founders did say, “ For ever, for everybody.” That's a very long time and a lot of people.


And lastly but not least, I’ve been drawing up plans to submit with a planning application for a new stretch of board-walk.


On my day off, Daisy and me as usual walked along the lake shore.   I know I’ve mentioned it before, but it is worth repeating.  The colours are at their best at present and in sunshine or dappled shade the area is just stunning.  As ever, a few stormy days will begin to strip off many of the leaves from the trees and the first frosts will see the end of this year’s spectacular display.


Daisy here, 

Mucky face from digging.  Sad face because they have stopped me digging.

I was helping Roy and his volunteers dig holes for the mushrooms and the thrones at the wild play trail.  Then they tied me up and I don’t know why because all I was doing was helping dig.  And guess what – I’m brilliant at digging.


No comments:

Post a Comment