Thursday 18 June 2015

I'm back!



Regular readers of the blog might have realised it is some time now since I posted. I've been off work ill for the last three months. I've been in and out of hospital three times culminating with an operation to remove an abscess. The doctors say I will make a full recovery so, although there were times when it was quite grim, I feel incredibly lucky and happy. Things could have been so much worse and three months isn't very long in the grand scale of things.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to the Rangers who stepped in to make guest appearances on the blog. I think they did a really good job and it's something I'd like to keep going in the future.Daisy’s been to play dates on Derwent Island with the two Labradors that live there. That was a huge help and she loved it. Lou has almost adopted her and I'm sure if there were a custody battle with Lou at one end of the car park and me at the other calling Daisy's name, Lou would win.

So I’m now back to work with a renewed appreciation of what a fantastic job I have in what I think is the best valley in the Lake District (see other Rangers for alternative views). I’ve started with some gentle walks on the fells as part of my recuperation and to catch up with developments during my absence. It will take some time to regain my fitness after much of two months in bed and another month feeling a bit grim!


One outing was to see the temporary paper bridge in the Grisedale Valley. It was an interesting pop-up in the landscape that was eventually removed leaving no lasting effect. I’ve also been mooching about on the fells with Daisy and her best friends Gus and Bryn.




Work-wise, I have been spending a week at Millbeck Towers with a working holiday group and also, for one day, my usual regional volunteer group. Millbeck Towers is a National Trust holiday property situated in a beautiful position. 



It has extensive gardens and there is some fantastic work being carried out to restore them. I am not a gardener of any kind but the people who have been doing the work have been superb. The work party has been staying in the house and there are plans to have similar working holidays based in the house in future.






Daisy on a Trust vehicle





Another excursion was to Castle Crag to see the work that has been carried out by a couple of the guys here. They have been pitching and building steps through a dry-stone wall and rebuilding the wall. This was done to replace an old ladder stile with something that will be maintenance free in future and to improve access. They have done a fantastic job.


Daisy here.


I’ve been going to Derwent Island. It was great. Lots of contractors to play with and Gus and Bryn – they’re Labradors like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment